The distinction between ADD and ADHD is essential for proper diagnosis and effective management. Understanding these differences can significantly impact the well-being of individuals dealing with these conditions. If you’re looking for tailored educational support for students with attention-related challenges, check out Walton Academy. Our experienced educators and specialized programs cater to the unique needs of each student, setting us apart from private schools Greenville NC, and elementary schools Greenville NC.
Defining ADD and ADHD:
ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder):
- Previously considered a distinct diagnosis, ADD is defined by difficulties sustaining attention and organization. Individuals with ADD typically display inattentiveness, forgetfulness, and a tendency to daydream. If your child exhibits symptoms akin to ADD, our private schools in Greenville, NC, provide a nurturing and supportive environment for their educational journey.
ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder):
- With its subtypes, including primarily inattentive presentation and combined presentation, ADHD encompasses a broader spectrum. The inattentive presentation is similar to what was previously known as ADD and involves inattentiveness without hyperactivity. The combined presentation includes both inattentive and hyperactive-impulsive symptoms.
- The most significant difference is the presence or absence of hyperactivity. ADD does not include hyperactive-impulsive symptoms, while ADHD, particularly the combined presentation, does.
- ADD primarily manifests as difficulties in maintaining focus, organization, and attention to detail.
- ADHD, especially the combined presentation, involves inattention, hyperactivity, and impulsivity.
Diagnosis and Evaluation:
- ADD is an outdated term. Today, these symptoms fall under the category of “ADHD, primarily inattentive presentation.”
- ADHD is typically diagnosed based on specific criteria outlined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-5).
- The diagnosis considers the type of symptoms and their impact on daily life.
Private Schools Greenville NC | Walton Academy
Understanding the nuances of ADD and ADHD is pivotal for accurate diagnosis and tailored intervention. Whether your child exhibits primarily inattentive symptoms or the combined presentation of ADHD, early recognition and multifaceted support are paramount. As one of the best private schools Greenville NC, we’re committed to providing a unique learning environment for students with diverse needs. Explore our private schools in Greenville NC, programs and discover how Walton Academy can nurture your child’s educational journey.